Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Can you stop them from growing up?

Last night I was sitting in the rocking chair with my 2-yr-old, trying to get her to calm down from her "Yo Gabba Gabba Boom Box" high.  It was nice and dark, quiet, just sweet little G sitting in my lap with her body relaxed against mine.  She wanted me to sing Itsy Bitsy Spider, so I did, while she sang along in her own little just-turned-two language, and softly made the accompanying hand and finger motions of the spider. 

Once wasn't enough (it's not that long of a song really), so by the third time, I started to think "ok, I have to wake up at 4am for work...how many times will we have to sing this??" And then it hit me.  There's going to come a day when she will absolutely not want me to sing her to sleep.  She will roll her eyes at me and be too big to snuggle her sweet little Dora night-gowned body with mine.  There will come a day when I will BEG her for a good-night hug. 

Sitting in that rocking chair, I could literally see and feel her somewhere around age 16...not remembering or even knowing this amazing few minutes ever happened.  I started crying.  I missed her already. 

I didn't want her to know I was crying, so I just sang softer, and she responded in perfect sync, quieting her own voice.  I don't know how many times we ended up sending that little spider up and down that water spout, but I know that I'm not ready for it to stop. 

6 comments:

Alyssa and Katie's mom said...

It does seem to fly by. Just keep treasuring every moment.

xo, Jersey Girl said...

This brought a tear to my eye it was so sweet!! I'm glad I found your blog!

Visiting from Welcome Wednesday and happy to be your newest follower :)

xo, Jersey Girl

hairsprayandhighheels.blogspot.com

lifetakesover said...

This is so sweet. And so timely for me. I was trying to calm my little boy down last night before bed (he was upset about something his big sister did) and I started singing to him. He cuddled into my arms and made me realize in that moment that there won't be too many more occasions for me to do this. He's growing up so fast (he's only 2 now, but still). Your post is beautiful. It's so nice when something hits us like that so that we can take the time to realize the precious life we're nurturing. I found your blog through The Blogger Comment Club.

Camille Griffiths said...

So sweet. <3 I have these moments a lot... I know everyone always says this but it's so true, they grow up SO FAST!

your favorite cousin said...

Why do you think I come to babysit? Gotta get my "fix"...and then you can have them back!

Gigi said...

It does indeed go very fast. I wonder every day how my kids went from babies to age 10 and 8. Fortunately, they still love to snuggle :)